I took some time the week before last to play around with Flash some more. Specifically, I ported one of the mini-games from Banana Bay to Flash, to be played in a browser.
You can try the result here:
While it’s probably on par with a lot of other simple Flash games out there, I’m not entirely thrilled with the results. I was porting relevant sections of my C/C++ codebase into Flash, but some paradigms didn’t translate well (graphical effects mostly). While I went out of my way to implement a few things in alternate ways, overall, I simplified the graphics and sound, and cut out the music, so the resulting mini-game feels a little flat to me. Note that this is NOT the main Banana Bay game, but rather, one of the 7 mini-games that I implemented in Flash.
Overall, it took me about 25-30 hours to take it to Flash, but I probably over-engineered the framework, and my Flash knowledge starting out was pretty limited. On the other hand, I was taking an existing game (mostly) and existing artwork, so I economized on actual design time.